In Great Britain, from April 2013 to March 2014 – 21,577 of accidental dwelling fires were first ignited in the kitchen. Over two thirds of fire-related deaths occurred in accidental dwelling fires.
This stat from the Fire & Rescue statistical release shows how at risk we really are. Protect your family and home today with these top tips.
Kitchen Fire Safety
1. Turn off kitchen equipment such as the toaster or kettle before going to bed.
2. Check all electrical appliances are clean and free from grease or fat. These substances can catch fire easily.
3. Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
[cta link=”/burglar-alarms ” title=”Protect your home” heading= “Protect your home against all hazards” button=”Find out more” button_on=”yes” img_on=”yes” img=”http://www.spyalarms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Alarm-Systems-1-Featured.jpg”]
Fire is not the only threat to your home. Be one step ahead in any emergency. [/cta]
4. Do not leave pots and pans unattended. If you must leave the kitchen for a short time, turn off your oven, the hobs, and remove the pans from heat.
5. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. This will alert you to a fire in its early stages, giving you and your family time to escape the property.
6. When cooking fat – if it starts to overheat, turn off the heat source and leave it to cool. Never pour water onto hot fat. Find out more cooking fire safety tips.
7. Always be aware of the space around you. Keep your kitchen tidy and leave a clear route for emergencies.
8. Loose clothing and other materials, such as tea towels will catch fire easily. Store flammable materials in a safe place while you cook.
9. Do not overload electrical sockets. Faulty and overheating electrical equipment can spark and ignite.
10. If a kitchen fire does break out, leave the property immediately. Close doors on your way towards the exit and call 999.
For more information, call today on: 01689 887 626
A vulnerable home, in more ways than one!
Fire is not the only hazard you need to safeguard against. Unfortunately, there are many other dangers that your home can fall victim to, such as burglary. To learn the best way of protecting your entire home, book a free security survey with Spy Alarms.
In a home security survey, your property will be assessed for areas of vulnerability. We can advise homeowners on the best ways of becoming secure.
Book your free security survey below: