The average modern home is full of mobile phones, laptops, and other electrical devices. Although it’s fantastic to be surrounded by technology that makes life easier, do we ever really think about the possible risks?
Electrical equipment can spark a fire within seconds if paired with a faulty or incorrect charger! Why take the risk for the sake of charging your phone, after all, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Keep your family safe from fire with our checklist below:
Fire Hazards At Home Checklist
The very first step to staying safe from fire is to install a smoke detector on every level of your property.
To ensure your alarms are always working, they should be tested once a week.
Hazards in the living and dining rooms:
- Check the TV is turned off (not just on standby) before leaving the room
- All electrical devices, including mobile phones, must have the correct charger for the brand and model type
- Laptops should not be left unattended and should not be placed on cushions or other soft furnishings
- E-Cigarette chargers should never be left unattended
- Gaming consoles must be turned off and checked regularly for overheating/internal fan issues
- Flames (from candles or a fireplace) must be extinguished completely
- Lit cigarettes must not be left unattended
- Lighters must be kept out of reach of children
- Electric heaters should not be left unattended and unplugged when not in use
Kitchen Fire Safety:
- The microwave should not be left unattended when in use
- Do not put anything metal in the microwave
- The oven should not be left unattended
To ensure your kitchen is safe from fire hazards, read our 10 fantastic kitchen fire safety tips!
Do you love to cook in your kitchen? Many of us are picking up our apron thanks to Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver, but we need to avoid our own kitchen nightmare! Be sure to read our cooking fire safety tips before trying out your favourite recipe.
- Do not leave candles unattended after you have finished your relaxing soak
- Don’t plug your travel hairdryer into the electrical shaving point
- Use our Bedtime Safety Checklist as a guide to keeping kids safe before lights out
- Electric blankets and gaming systems must be turned off before going to sleep
- Don’t leave hair straighteners unattended and always use a ceramic tray – don’t place them on the bed or carpet whilst still hot
- Be aware that lava lamps are prone to reaching high temperatures
- Don’t fall asleep whilst candles are still burning
Want more info? Here’s a great video on home fire safety from Kent Fire & Rescue Youtube page.
Get The Ultimate Security For Your Home
Our smoke alarm systems can be easily integrated into your home security system. This ensures you are safeguarded against any point of vulnerability, whether it’s a fire or a thief. We also install a wide range of other home security systems that include smartphone enabled CCTV, intercom systems and intruder alarms to name but a few. For a FREE site survey, please get in touch with our London or Kent team today.